Pectus Message Boards
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  13
Author: Subject: 27/F My NUSS journey (through bar removal) with Dr Saxton 10/1/2014-with Before/After Pics
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

Mood: Victorious

[*] posted on 7-19-2014 at 09:40 PM
27/F My NUSS journey (through bar removal) with Dr Saxton 10/1/2014-with Before/After Pics

Hi everyone--

I somehow deleted my initial post while updating the title of my journal...so...basically at the time of this post I was 27, searching for answers, lost in pectus misery, and found Dr. Saxton through a magazine article. The rest is history!!

IMG_2347.JPG - 127kB IMG_2363.JPG - 142kB IMG_2367.JPG - 109kB

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams

My journal: http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=11088
Skiddy
Contributing Member

Mood: Wooppppeee all finished!!!!!

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 03:06 AM

Hi,
Firstly welcome and well done in taking the steps to move forward in the battle against this problem.
We all know the issues that come with p.e. I do think p.e is getting more recognised and more the Doctors are getting more experienced in the surgery and implications of this problem.
I too was told to just get on with things. Told there was nothing they could do for me. But now have gone through it all with a sucessful outcome.

DrJ or Losasso have some great experience. They are probably the Dr's I would recommend in the U.S. Just solely from my experience from this board.

Good luck and keep us posted of your plans.

mimee03
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 07:22 PM

Welcome! I love to read other females stories! I am 26 and just had the Nuss in April. Good luck with your journey!
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 7-20-2014 at 07:32 PM

Thanks, Mimee! I have read your journal and hope that I can have the same success as you. You have been an inspiration to me long before I registered here, so thanks :) Everyone's stories have helped significantly but being a woman (and thus in the minority) it sure feels good to have input from other dented divas!

How has your recovery been? Anything you'd do differently in your first 3 months now that you have the gift of hindsight?

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams

mimee03
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Halcyon22  
Thanks, Mimee! I have read your journal and hope that I can have the same success as you. You have been an inspiration to me long before I registered here, so thanks :) Everyone's stories have helped significantly but being a woman (and thus in the minority) it sure feels good to have input from other dented divas!

How has your recovery been? Anything you'd do differently in your first 3 months now that you have the gift of hindsight?

That makes me feel great that my journal helped you! I hope you have even more of a success than me! Yes it helps so much to hear from other women because it affects us differently than men (in my opinion).

My recovery has been pretty good. I am finally going back to work in 2 days so that should be interesting. My job is very physical so that is why I have been off of work for so long. Hmmm you asked a very good question...the only thing I may have done differently is to do more stretches and more walking to increase my endurance. Oh and pay more attention to my posture so that I heal straighter (but I have scoliosis so I do not know if that is applicable to you). Other than that I feel like I have recovered very well. I weaned off of the narcotics pretty quickly for someone my age and then it has been over a month since I have taken any pain medicine.

Good luck to you! Keep us updated :)
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 7-21-2014 at 08:47 PM

I am a little worried about going back to work too. I am a nurse, I work in surgery (which has prepared me immensely for going under the knife might I add!) and my job is very physically demanding. Kinda wishing at this point I had a desk job!! lol

Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 07:00 AM

CT scheduled for next week Tuesday! Interested to see the results...

impectus
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 03:24 PM

started to reply but it got too long so will start my own journal. more later...
impectus
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 02:58 PM

its me again. wrote about pe's mental toll then realized your journal is about your journey so im about to set up mine. glad you heard what i was trying to say. you are doing the right thing. i call my pcp monday to set up my ct. want to share this with a nurse.good luck tuesday.
impectus
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 01:05 PM

what were your test results? and do 3 posts in a row, in your journal, make me a stalker?
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by impectus  
what were your test results? and do 3 posts in a row, in your journal, make me a stalker?

Haha no, not a stalker! I appreciate you wanting to know! I have to contact the Dr's office for my CT results. I've been so crazy busy lately that I just haven't had time to do so yet. I'm not overly concerned though because I was approved for surgery before anyone even knew what my haller index was. :) I have been starting to gather the essentials though for my recovery...wedge pillow, button up shirts, a comfy new robe. These next 2 months are gonna fly by...

Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 04:41 PM

Well I spoke too soon in my last post...I was misinformed and wasn't "officially approved" yet by my insurance, just preapproved. They are taking forever to review my results and with only a month left til surgery, it's taking too long for my comfort! I shot another email to my Dr's office today, asking where we are in the process. The secretary at the office has been amazing and has replied to all my emails within a few hours but of course it's a holiday weekend so won't hear back for a few days. Uggh...this waiting and wondering is going to drive me mad!! I suppose the dance with the insurance company is a necessary evil...Cross your fingers for me that I don't get denied! Oh the horror...:(

Sinister
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 09:41 AM

I was preamp proved as well and was told that was the best I would get before surgery. I didn't love that answer but it held true, I never get got officially approved until after the procedure.

" Whatever you have, you must make the most of it. Rest assured that you can
transform yourself, no matter where you started from. The most important body part is
the mind.
Sinister
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 01:49 PM

I was preamp proved as well and was told that was the best I would get before surgery. I didn't love that answer but it held true, I never get got officially approved until after the procedure.

" Whatever you have, you must make the most of it. Rest assured that you can
transform yourself, no matter where you started from. The most important body part is
the mind.
impectus
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 01:24 PM

hey halcyon, i also think preapproval may be all you get before surgery. waiting is awful but try not to borrow trouble. keep us informed.
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 07:11 PM

Thanks for your input Sinister and Impectus...I feel that my PE is severe enough that I shouldn't be worried about being borderline for the haller index, but regardless I feel very hesitant to go ahead with surgery without knowing for sure whether insurance will cover. Has anyone else had experience with appealing an insurance denial post-surgery?? I feel like this is the last thing I will want to be doing while recovering!

GodsWill
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 01:16 PM

I pray everything works out perfectly for you with insurance and your NUSS :)
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 05:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GodsWill  

Thanks...ME TOO!! It will be good to have you only 2 weeks ahead of me...you will have to share your recovery tips :P

GodsWill
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 01:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Halcyon22  
Quote: Originally posted by GodsWill  

Thanks...ME TOO!! It will be good to have you only 2 weeks ahead of me...you will have to share your recovery tips :P

Of course ;)
DaveM
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 07:46 PM

Hi Halcyon, what kind of wedge pillow did you get? I'm in the process of getting everything together.

PS: I'll be looking for your recovery tips, since you are going to be 3 weeks ahead of me. :D
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 02:32 PM

Dave, this is the wedge pillow I got, pretty basic but I think it will do the trick. I tried it out and found that if you need more elevation it's quite simple to put an extra pillow or two underneath it. I signed up to get emails and got a 20% off coupon...easy enough to unsubscribe once you buy the pillow! hehe

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/bed-wedge-pill...

And of course I'll share tips, we're all in this together and need each other for support. :)

DaveM
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 08:42 PM

That was slick thinking with the coupon. lol I'll have to go test it out tomorrow! Thanks!
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 05:33 AM

Yesterday I received the best news....INSURANCE APPROVAL!!! It took them less than 24 hours to determine that it was a medical necessity. For once, I feel like people are finally listening to me, and it feels so incredibly wonderful!! I also have some connections at the hospital I'm having my surgery at, and I've heard nothing but awesome things about my Dr and the results of his surgeries. This has come from anesthesia providers among others...from my experiences working in the OR, for one MD to praise another so openly means a great deal.

I feel more than ready now to get this thing started. 2 1/2 more weeks!!

ecurbliam
Contributing Member

Mood: Enjoying exercise at a higher intensity.Less self conscious with my shirt off.

[*] posted on 9-12-2014 at 08:33 AM

Great news, so pleased for you and good luck
:)

Cheers Bruce
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 05:22 PM

Got the disc with images from my CT today along with the report. My Haller index was calculated at 4.8 and would probably have been higher had I not inhaled when they told me to. I took almost a normal breath and I'm still classified as severe, so I guess that's saying something! Here's my poor heart, squished off to the side. I cannot wait until I can't feel it beating through my left ribcage, it's an unsettling feeling for sure.

CTchest.jpg - 59kB

I think this technology is absolutely amazing! This is a slide from the 3D reconstruction of my chest. The reddish areas indicate areas of blood flow, so this shows the cartilages rather well. It's crazy to think that a lot of rib flare is actually caused by the cartilage and not the ribs themselves--something I didn't completely understand until I saw these slides. Pretty cool!!

CTrecon.jpg - 69kB

All objective data aside, in these last 2 weeks before surgery, I'm trying to find peace with my inner self. It's kind of difficult thinking that if I chose to not have surgery, I would still, technically, be ok. I'd still live, albeit not happily. After wanting something so badly, I find myself at a disconnect between what I want and losing control over what happens to my body. Has anyone else encountered these strange feelings??

Pages:  1    3  ..  13

Go To Top