SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-5-2015 at 08:14 PM
Male 44, 9/4/15 surgery with LoSasso

Scott
44 male
Haller 5.1
Two bars

I had surgery at the Sharp Memorial hospital on Friday here in San Diego.
Once out and in an ICU room, I woke up groggy of course. After that went away I was feeling great. Pain was pretty much a zero. Didn't really sleep much; a little bit each hour maybe. Felt pretty painless most of today too. A little discomfort when inhaling. The Epidural has been doing its job for sure. I can't take deep breaths at all and it shows when I work on the incentive spirometer. That is a bit of torture.
Dr LoSasso said everything went well but it was tough due to the ridgitiy of my bones. Pain is still very minimal right now at 8:10 PM on Saturday night. I did a walk around the ICU area earlier which made my chest sore; legs were fine. I was out of the bed sitting in a chair for a few hours earlier watching football and visiting with friends. I'd have to say things are going well so far.
I'll update tomorrow as well.
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 05:33 PM

Day 2 and 3 were pretty much the same...minimal pain and some walks around the ICU floor. That epidural worked worked wonders I'd say.

Day 4 was the same as well except I got the bandages off. I finally got to see my chest in a normal manner and no Grand Canyon there anymore. It is weird for me to look at because I am so used to my PE chest.

Day 5(today) they took my epidural out earlier today. They gave me one oxy last night and it helped out. Definitely can feel more discomfort with the epi out. I did have two Percocets to help outff and they did. I'm going to try and get some pics up soon.

Thanks for reading
Randy
Contibuting Member

Mood: Always Pushing Limits

[*] posted on 9-8-2015 at 07:39 PM

Hey SLS

Seems your experiencing less pain than most, which is great for you. Yah, some images would be great to see. Do you feel much breating restriction when you breath deep? What's your numbers on the spiralmeter devil? With 2 bars do you also have 2 stabilizers?

Randy
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 10:43 AM

Hey Randy, I would say yes to the breathing restriction when taking deep breaths. Chest feels tight and I'm sure that's due to the bars. It's gets a little painful when at the end of taking a deep breath.
I only have one stabilizer on the right side and I can't feel it at all...so far I guess.
On that spirometer devil I am only hitting between 1000 and roughly 1750. I would say I am averaging 1500 most goes at it. Torturous for sure!
Get to go home today too so that's nice.

-Scott
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 11:09 AM

Here is one with the bars..

image.jpg - 75kB
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 11:23 AM

Here is an after of the 5.1 Haller diminished

image.jpg - 63kB
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 11:35 AM

Before Nuss.

image.jpg - 17kB
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 11:37 AM

Another before.

image.jpg - 13kB
robin
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 01:21 PM

Hi SLS1971,

This is a great repair! Congratulations.
Randy
Contibuting Member

[*] posted on 9-9-2015 at 07:34 PM

SLS

In my case the breathing restriction stays, there is no escaping. However, the pain during deep breathing gets better, but it also stays. The way to avoid the deep breathing pain is to not do anything that will raise your cardio, ha ha fat chance for me!! Although deep breathing hurts, I train every day, I have learned to live with the restriction and pain.

Now, your images: Wowwww.... LaSasso and 2 bars killed that dent. Very impressive! BTW, you can put all your images on one post. When you up to it, post a few more image while standing, straight on, over head, right and left oblique.

Keep the breathing exercises, increase them each day by one breath. <~~~ That means by very little, but increasing. ASAP, get out and walk as long and as hard as you can. Start slow, walk intervals, mentally record your results, then increase the pace, duration and interval difficulty. Again, go slow, but be extremely demanding on yourself. The more tough work you force your body into, then recover, the faster and stronger your recovery will be.

Randy
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

Mood: Victorious

[*] posted on 9-10-2015 at 07:10 PM

How has home been treating you? You received a fantastic repair, you must be thrilled! Remember that this recovery is best noted in weeks, not days...you will notice many ups and downs until you begin to stabilize in an upwards trend. Be patient, be positive, be proactive in your recovery. Time will be good to you if you do these things! :D

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams

My journal: http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=11088
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 03:21 PM

Hey Randy, thanks for the info once again. There has and is a lot of info to absorb on here but I must say you always have something great to say, not that others don't but I see your name here a lot and I appreciate that. I'll just have to wait and see how that deep breathing goes as time goes on. Same goes to you Halcyon22. You both do tremendous work on here.

I will get working on more pics from those angles and hopefully have them up today or tomorrow.

Today is day 7 post-op and day 3 at home. I must say things are better now than the first day home. I am taking on OxyContin at 8 in morning and another one at 8 at night. I am also taking one ibuprofen every 8 hours. I might be taking one Percocet a day but I don't really feel the need. My pain levels are low so I might stop that soon, or just stick with one a day for a little while. I haven't really done much of the miralax because I have not needed it. Going to the bathroom on a fairly regular basis.
I am sticking with the breathing spirometer and taking walks for now...not going to try and overdue anything at all. Took the Husky out for a walk earlier. Good thing she likes to walk slow.

image.jpg - 193kB
Randy
Contibuting Member

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 06:57 PM

SLS

Thanks for your kind words, to both Halcyon any myself. We do it because we can and care. Your last post with the Husky image reads well, as if you are making recovery in the good and right direction. Slow and steady is the key. Keep your patience level high with yourself, I mean, always push your walks, breathing exercise etc.... never miss 1 session, and if progress and pain is slow with improvement, donít sweet it! Keep steady each day, this always wins the recovery battle. Sitting and waiting for body to heal is death in disguise. Looking for your new images from multi angles. Keep cautiously pushing each day, these early days set the pace for the full stretch of the recovery.
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 04:49 PM

I am now 11 days post-op and still feeling good. I still have some minor discomfort buts it's not bad at all. I am still taking the OxyContin every 12 hours and one ibuprofen every 8 hours. I am getting in about three walks a day and using the incentive spirometer every hour. That device is not as bad as day 1 and 2 at home. I've increased the level I can reach now which is good. In the following pics I must say I am happy but I do have this weird crease under my left nipple. I know I'm still swollen but it seems weird and LoSasso said not to worry about it. I guess I wait and see.

image.jpg - 83kB
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 04:51 PM

Here are the others

image.jpg - 66kBimage.jpg - 74kBimage.jpg - 102kB
OzzieJ
Contributing Member

Mood: excited

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 05:07 PM

Wow, thats a great result sls!, keep us all posted on your recovery. 4 days to discharge is very encouraging. Keep up the good work!
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

Mood: Victorious

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 04:07 PM

Keep forging ahead! Great pics. Ice packs worked wonders on my incision sites the first 2 weeks.

Also thanks for the kind words, means a lot :)

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams

My journal: http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=11088
GodsWill
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-17-2015 at 08:34 AM

Lookin' good! Hang in there and take it slowly. Every day gets a little easier ;)

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." - Barney Stinson
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 04:12 PM

So today is exactly 4 weeks since my surgery. I feel pretty good and I am off all the pain meds. I am only taking the ibuprofen. Still walking and using the spirometer every day. Here are a few pics from today.

image.jpeg - 107kB image.jpeg - 122kB image.jpeg - 78kB
SweetLil
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 10-2-2015 at 07:00 PM

Great results SLS! Must be exciting to be free of the dent.

I'm 6 weeks post-op with Dr. J, and was on a similar recovery path (low levels of pain and on very few pain control meds). It's amazing how well the pain management is nowadays, that we are home within a week of surgery as a result. How are you feeling now that you're off the meds? I ran into a bit of fatigue when I weened off, but now it's manageable.

Slow and steady is the key...
Fresh
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 10-5-2015 at 12:25 PM

Impressive results, especially considering the length of the PE almost from collarbone to typhoid process.

Even better, minimal pain.

:nw:
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 10-9-2015 at 06:40 PM

Thanks Sweet and Fresh. It is nice to have the hole gone and be pain free now. Definitely have some discomfort on a daily basis but not pain.

It's exactly 5 weeks today since surgery and I'm off of all meds and no ibuprofen either.
-started driving again last Thursday.
-went back to my teaching job on Monday.
-been to the gym everyday after work to do some walking on the treadmill as well as some stationary bike time as well. Probably about 45-50 minutes between both.
-sleeping is still tough. Hard to get in that comfortable position.

Not much else to report at 5 weeks post-op.
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 10-24-2015 at 03:28 PM

It's now been 7 weeks as of yesterday since surgery. I don't have anything new to report. I'm still going to the gym doing some treadmill and stationary bike exercise.
Probably going to look for a physical therapist next week and get that going.
Looking forward to when I can start running, mountain bike, and road bike. It's been way too long.

Sleeping is still tough through the night but I'm sure that will get better in time.
SLS1971
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 06:01 PM

What are some thoughts on getting physical therapy or just doing the exercises by myself?
The few low weight exercises the doc says to do are exercises I've done at the gym many times before. Not sure if I want to waste time finding a phys therapist and dealing with insurance.

Thoughts??
offgridchris
Contributing Member

Mood: Nussed

[*] posted on 11-1-2015 at 10:13 PM

im 7weeks post op and ive found swimming to be the best for physical therapy. we are at about the same stage and my progress seems similar to you. good luck with it all.

Aged 42
Haller 13.2
2 Nuss bars inserted by prof Schaarschmidt Berlin September 2015.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top