Trav's Journal: 38/M/PE Nuss w/ Schaarschmidt

Sex: Male
Height: 6' 4"
Condition: Pectus Excavatum (PE)
Symmetry: Symmetrical
Development: Had it from birth
Haller Index: Not sure
Surgery Procedure: Nuss
Status of surgery: Operation date of April 13, 2016 booked at Helios Clinic, Berlin, with Prof. Schaarschmidt

My name is Travis, I'm from Pennsylvania but have lived in Thailand for the last 14 years. I'll by flying to Berlin on April 11, 2016 and then having the surgery 2 days later.

My reasons for doing the surgery are most likely very similar to yours. I almost never take my shirt off in public. I wear Under Armor compression shirts, but these are really hot; especially in Thailand. Thailand has beautiful beaches and sailing, scuba diving, kite surfing, etc but I mostly stay away from the beach because of having to take my shirt off and not feeling confident about my appearance.

Having the dent in the chest makes you look weak even when you're not. An outward extended chest is very manly, looks strong and exudes confidence. Having the opposite seems to have taken its toll on my mind psychologically. I end up feeling weak and embarrassed about my appearance and then that general feeling seeps into other areas of my life and I'm left with little confidence about myself. That and my posture is getting worse over time. My shoulders are starting to hunch over and, though its difficult to know for sure, I think the dent is getting deeper over time.

Another thing that happens because of the dent is whenever I gain weight, my belly pushes out way more than a normal person. lol I don't know why this happens but I'm sure a lot of you have or had the same experience. I guess its similar to why the ribs flare. Everything gets pushed down and out because of the dent at the top of the body. Not sure if this is the reason why almost all PE pictures I've seen are of skinny folk. Has anyone ever seen an overweight person with PE?

It'll be really cool to be dent free at some point, but I must admit that if all I had was the outward appearance changes to motivate me to do the procedure, it wouldn't be enough. It wasn't enough. But when I started reading more about people's experiences of increased lung capacity, normalized heart function, better posture, more stamina during exercise, etc. all of those people's stories helped make the decision to go ahead with the surgery much easier. I run, swim, hike, lift weights, do yoga, etc. To think I might be able to get more lung capacity and my heart be able to distribute the oxygen better because of not being squeezed into an abnormal position is really exciting stuff. After being hampered by this dent for so long I want the chance to reach my full potential when exercising. However much potential that is.

This is also why I've decided to contribute here. Besides getting the encouragement and advice from people still contributing month to month, if some of my story helps to motivate or encourage others to go forward with the surgery and provide inspiration during the recovery, then all the better. A sincere thanks to all who take time to post on these boards. You inspire us all and hopefully we can follow your lead and help to inspire others as well.

BEFORE pictures are attached.

Thanks,

Trav,
Thailand

IMG_1520.jpg - 248kB
TheKid2
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 2-24-2016 at 07:25 PM

Congratulations on the surgery date! Very exciting!
It takes a lot of courage to post pictures and your story, well done.

With that type of dent and surgeon you should have a great result.

Have you done allergy testing? You might still have time if you haven't..

Good luck to you!
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-10-2016 at 07:33 AM

Thanks to TheKid2 I was able to get my allergy testing done before flying to Germany. Wouldn't have thought to do it otherwise. Here's a link to the tests recommended to get before going for surgery: http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=4950

Today is April 10, surgery is on April 13. April 11 travel to Germany, April 12 hospital tests, April 13 surgery and April 14 Liverpool vs Dortmund at Anfield. :re:

38/M/PE Nuss w/ Schaarschmidt on April 13, 2016
My Personal Journal:
http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=11627
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

Mood: Victorious

[*] posted on 4-10-2016 at 09:30 AM

Wishing you all the best on your upcoming test and surgery! I will be looking forward to your posts :)

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams
LondonTim
Contributing Member

Mood: Determined!

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 01:13 AM

Hi Trav,

As mentioned, congratulations on taking this step - 'coming out' on this board. I found it incredibly cathartic to talk openly (albeit on a forum) about my PE. It was a dark secret I kept to myself. This board helped me massively.

As for choosing Prof Schaarschmidt, I think you have made an excellent choice. He has done so many excellent repairs & his after care is (from what I read) better than any, including lots of testing & physio.

Your PE looks deep but symmetrical. Asymmetry is probably the hardest thing to deal with, so you are in a good place.

As a fellow graduate of Helios, I can't wait to hear your story.

trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 07:53 AM

Day before surgery - April 12, 2016.
I arrived at HELIOS in Berlin around 11:00am per the doctor's request. Did some tests, talked over the entire procedure, signed off on everything and got settled in for the night.

My surgery time was a tentative 11:00am the following day. I'll be at the hospital for 14 days so I bought a 30 day WIFI pass for 40 Euros. You do this at the info counter at the entrance to the hospital. The cafeteria (also at the entrance) is pricey, but has a ton of stuff to choose from. I chose to get a big salad because of all the stories of people being constipated after surgery.

Day 1 - April 13, 2016.
First it has to be said that the staff at HELIOS are very warm and welcoming. Most do not speak English, but there are enough staff that can get by with basic English to answer any questions or concerns that come up along the way.

In the morning I took a nice hot shower and shaved my chest and arm pits per the doctor's instructions. Best to do it before getting there if possible, but I didn't know about it. Also, you should bring your own towel, razors, tooth brush, etc.

They give you a pill to relax you and then you go to for the epidural. I don't usually have problems with needles but this was a little difficult. They put you in a fetal position and stick a needle right in the middle of your back. They give you a local beforehand but you can still feel the needle pushing through your back muscles and its extremely uncomfortable. Was thinking to myself: this is just the beginning, what did I get myself into??

5 minutes after the epidural they gassed me and I woke up 2 hours later, post operation, with very shallow breathing. This was something I feared going in, that somehow I might panic at not being able to breathe fully. But the drugs put the mind at ease and you feel so little pain in the body because of the epidural. I think I slept for 70% of the remainder of the day. I set my phone timer for an hour and each hour I'd wake up and press the drug release button so I'd have a constant flow. I think other people on this board have recommended the same.

Haven't actually seen my chest yet. I've got one of those compression wraps on all the time. The doctor stopped by to let me know everything was a success. I got 2 bars and 8cm of extra room. Exciting stuff. Can't wait to start the rehab process.

My Personal Journal:
ecurbliam
Contributing Member

Mood: Enjoying exercise at a higher intensity.Less self conscious with my shirt off.

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 11:43 PM

Well done Trav ,thrilled that you got through the procedure.
Now starts the hard work of recovery but I am sure you will be fine and it will all be worth it in the end.Take it easy and gradually take the baby steps needed in the recovery phase.
From what I have read over the years Helios is a great aftercare facility and they are in no rush to discharge you .
Good luck to you ;)

Cheers Bruce
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 05:17 AM

Day 2 - April 14, 2016.
Day 1 the nurses manage your pain killing medications for you, on Day 2 they ask you to start managing part of the process. I was getting mental pain (stress) relief every 6 hours in the form of a pill and a shot of what smelled like NyQuil. In addition to that I was asked to press the epidural injection button whenever I wanted to. And if that still wasn't enough I was able to request a shot in the neck of the special sauce. Probably morphine or something like that. Whatever it was, it warmed me up and tucked me in for a few hours. I really like that stuff.

Because of having so much pain medicine whenever you want it, there's no reason to lay in misery awaiting your strength to your to return. Paraphrasing a bit but that's pretty much what the doctor said to me. He did want me to work though; just not work in pain. So every hour I gave myself a shot on the epidural button and then worked on the breathing machines right after. This allowed me to practice expanding my lungs to my limits without getting hung up on whether or not I was going to hurt myself by over excursion. I'm only able to breathe at about 1/5 of what I was able to prior to surgery. I could probably push it to 2/5, but there's a lot of resistance, the body is tired from surgery and there's some fear of coughing which I can feel is holding me back also. But all in all, 1/5 is decent for day 2. Definitely improved upon yesterday's after-surgery results.

Was able to start eating more also. I still have the catheter in and 4 drainage hoses hanging off of the incision points. Compression belt over entire rib cage will be in place for 4-6 weeks. (Just realized this today, which is a little disappointing.). Can take it off during showers or swimming, but mostly it should be left on for a month and a half.

Still haven't actually stood in front of a mirror to observe my chest. I was able to walk the halls with a walker for about 15 minutes. After that I was really tired. The surgery and drugs really do take a lot out of you.

Every time Schaarschmidt comes in to check on me he asks if I saw my chest yet. I think he's proud of his work but also wants me to feel good about my chest and use that good feeling to fuel my recovery. I told him again today, no I didn't see my chest yet and he takes my compression belt off and slaps my hand on my chest saying, maybe you should just feel it. He's a little crazy.

1600+ Nuss Procedures without a single bar flip, bar break, etc. He's very proud... and rightly so. One thing is certain, if you choose to use Doctor Scharschmidt at HELIOS, you're in really good hands.

My Personal Journal:
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 07:51 AM

Fantastic detail Trav!! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like things are going well so far, the pain meds are great those first few days!!

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams
LondonTim
Contributing Member

Mood: Determined!

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 10:28 AM

You have (imho) the best looking after you. Listen to him. He'll work you hard but it is for your good.

I assume you're still on the intermediate dependency ward with wires hanging off you.

Before too long you'll go to the children's ward.

Keep things going & if you remember say 'hello' to the Professor for me. I'll be seeing him in a couple of years again I hope.

offgridchris
Contributing Member

Mood: Nussed

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 04:14 PM

take it one day at a time and it will get better. All the staff at the Helios are A1. walking the corridors is a right of passage for us PE people. if you need more pain relief just ask. sleeping tablets helped me for a few nights. dont be brave just keep the pain under control with drugs.

Aged 42
Haller 13.2
2 Nuss bars inserted by prof Schaarschmidt Berlin September 2015.
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 05:15 PM

Day 3 - April 15, 2016.

Not too different than Day 2, except for big advances on the breathing machines and I was able to get 3 out of 4 drainage hoses taken off.

Walked the halls with a wheelchair for support for about 15 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening.

I continue to drink a lot of water. As long as the urine in the cath bag is yellow, I figure it's worth it.

Missed the Liverpool Dortmund game but have been reading about it and watching clips all day. Great stuff.

My new roommate is a talker. Called at least 5 people tonight and talked for 3 hours straight. Good thing I brought head phones. Can't complain about much other than that. Good day overall.

My Personal Journal:
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 10:21 AM

did you have any bad reactions to the medicine? One of my greatest fears was getting sick from the pain killers but that worked out just fine for me. I can't imagine having to vomit after this surgery!! but I know that some people go through that.

How about food? Good food at your hospital? Any trouble for you getting down a full meal?

trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 11:04 AM

No adverse reactions to the medicine besides being constipated. I haven't taken a [Censored] for 4 days. They are starting to give me laxatives with the hope I can have my first bowel movement tomorrow.

Like you, I couldn't imagine vomiting in my current state. I can barely laugh, don't dare cough and am praying I don't have to sneeze any time soon. We'll see.

Food here is decent at lunch but otherwise is the standard German meat, bread and cheese. Having lived in Thailand for so long, German food is extremely bland. Just waiting for my catheter to be removed so I can make longer walks and hit the cafeteria at the entrance of the hospital.

How about you? Is your wife bringing you some good stuff? You're really lucky to have her there with you. Is your home far from the hospital? I think you mentioned in a previous posts you don't live so far away.

I'll try to take some post op pics to share tomorrow. Would be good for the journal. Maybe you can do the same. Have a good day man.

My Personal Journal:
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 06:06 PM

The hospital food here was actually really good. I finished almost every meal and really enjoyed it. Just had my first meal at home an hour ago. Now that was a little better - ha! But my wife ate in the cafeteria even though she could have had anything. The hospital has a great deal where she could get a basic room for $25/night, separate from all the beeping in my room / wing. That made things much easier....and cheaper!

Yeah, we're only about a 1.5 hour drive from Norfolk where they pioneered the Nuss. I think my Dr worked with Dr Nuss early on when they were developing it so that gave me more confidence.

I have to say, I'm feeling like the luckiest Nuss patient ever based on how this has gone so far! Still hard to believe I'm on the other side and in such a great situation. They did start stool softener for me with the first paid meds but still no activity in that department. That might end up the most painful part of this recovery - ha! I am keeping a pillow close by for any coughing or sneezing. Plus taking Allegra since its pollen season here and everything is green!

Yeah, I posted some photos this afternoon right before we checked out. Let me know what you think!...unless you think they're bad - then don't say anything! Ha - just kidding. Pretty weird posting pictures on the internet of a chest I've spent a lifetime trying to hide from people!!! But it's done.

Good luck!!
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 11:04 PM

Day 4 - April 16, 2016
Slow day. Things were progressing fast the first 3 days but day 4-5 is Saturday Sunday, so the doctor isn't here and when he's not here pushing everything forward then things tend to stagnate or other doctors/nurses don't dare to take the initiative to make major steps forward. I think this is the main reason I still have the epidural, catheter and last drainage tube still connected. And as long as I have those connected, it restricts my ability to get up and walk around, stretch, etc.

Did have my first bowel movement on Day 4. Got tired of feeling constipated so I asked the nurse to give me an enima. Did the trick and I'm feeling a little better in that area. Otherwise, it was a boring day spent mostly in bed. Did 3 walks throughout the day but the catheter is killing me.

My Personal Journal:
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 07:26 AM

Are they still putting meds in through your epidural? If so that is probably why you still have the catheter. The epidural meds cause urinary retention and an indwelling catheter prevents you having to be cathed multiple separate times!! Not fun at all :o of course, if they aren't using the epidural anymore it should come out along with the catheter, they can be portals for infection. At around 4-5 days post op I would think you'd be able to be on straight oral pain meds.

Anyways, keep up the positive progress!!

trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 10:47 AM

Day 5 - April 17, 2016
Today was difficult. Probably the most difficult day thus far.

Got a decent amount of sleep the night prior and woke up with hope to get free of the catheter, epidural and last remaining drainage tube.

Removing the last drainage tube was easy and done in the morning. I then had to plead with the covering doctor (its Sunday) to remove my epidural and catheter. The doctor agreed that if I go without the epidural feed for two hours and feel alright, then they'll remove the epidural for me.

After a long two hours I was in a lot of pain but most of it was centered at the place of the epidural injection. Xrays were done and everything looked alright, so they removed the epidural and the catheter. Once that was done I was considered non-intermediate care and moved to a different part of the hospital.

Without the catheter I was able to walk much more comfortably and it was the first time I walked on my own without a nurse or the wheelchair for support. Ended up doing a lot of walking today but each time I got into bed, including now, my back really aches at the point of the epidural. When I walk, that pain in my back disappears but then I feel really heavy in the chest and shoulders.

Unfortunately I no longer get the good drugs. I'm down to pills only and they only do so much. I guess that's why today was so difficult. I was in pain for the majority of the day, sitting and walking.

Being here alone is getting to me also. There were some difficult moments wherein I started to have those 'what did I get myself into' kinda thoughts. Taking a shower and looking at myself in the mirror and no longer looking deformed, but just broken and injured really deflated me. I had seen the 'after' pictures of a bunch of guys that did the surgery already before I made the decision to move forward with the surgery; so I knew things weren't going to be perfect after surgery. But I guess I just didn't recognize myself and then to have so much pain and discomfort on top of this was (again) deflating to say the least.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy. But I'm just at Day 5... and I'm already feeling tired. I really need to keep my perspective and remember why I did this and not go too far into the emotions at this point. The nurse just came and took my blood pressure and it was over 150 whereas its normally around 110. She asked what was up and I said I think I'm nervous.

My Personal Journal:
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-17-2016 at 07:47 PM

Don't let it get you down Trav. You're likely through the worst part and on your way! Focus on the positive!!!
MikeyB
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 08:09 AM

Hang tight Trav, it will get better.

While it is great to do all kinds of research and read other people's experiences before going through the nuss yourself, there is truly nothing that can fully prepare you for what you experience. Know that this may be one of the greatest challenges that you will ever face in your life, and if you can get through this, you can get through anything. I won't sugarcoat it, it will NOT be easy. The first night without my epidural, the oral meds took about 4 hours to kick in and I spent much of that night fighting back tears and trying not to move at all, for the pain was so great. At one point I was actually begging the nurse to please kill me, that's how awful it was. Over time it does get better, and in a couple weeks, and especially a couple months, you will be so glad that you made this decision. Your physical and mental health will be better than ever before. I know this because I went through it myself, only to have my procedure fail following bar removal as my pectus regressed, which presented a whole new challenge mentally. Thankfully, you saw a world-class surgeon and shouldn't have to worry about a botched procedure. But my first time through the nuss has made me a more hardened person and I know that next time around, whenever that may be, I will get through it all once again.

The first couple weeks are extremely challenging, but know that it does get better and you will make it out the other side. Set some short term goals for yourself and focus on those, I found it helps to keep your mind in a good place.
Denv77
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 08:44 AM

Hi Trav

Hopefully you are feeling a little better today.

So far you have had a considerable amount of opiates through your system. It's quite the blast for all of the chemicals in your head. I for one don't like a doctor that overly encourages drug use, as pleasant as they may be. The opiates feel like pure heaven, which comes at a consequence of an even harsher hell. Once you are completely off the Oxycodone, you can expect to feel a lot better mentally. I went cold turkey on day 3, and at times I felt completely hollowed out and empty, after as little opiate intake as possible. I estimate that you have had 3/4 times more than I did.

That is just one of the factors of why you currently feel the way you do. Another, Schaar popped a huge dent out of your chest! Your whole upper body needs months to properly adjust to the new shape and structure. For me the muscle pain was severe. Your muscles will become fatigued very quickly, this can be deflating, but push through, and rest when you can't push any more. It is common for patients to think that the epidural insertion point is a source of pain, when in fact it is just your back aching from the change in your chest. For some, the back and shoulder pain is worse than the pain at where the incisions are made. Once you are out of Helios, a lot of walking and sleep will do you a world of good.

Don't feel too disheartened. I remember looking in the mirror on day 5, and the site of it all had me in the same space that you describe. When you move around, your chest feels like it isn't there, it is now an alien which seems as though it weighs 5 tons. Stay positive! Attitude is everything, in time you will be back to normal.

Congrats on getting through surgery and your progress thus far! I'm enjoying your journal, it brings back so many memories of my time at Helios. Iv had a lot of good times, but I must say that my time at Helios is the most special memory I have. With time, I hope you will feel the same way.

Keep going! And stay positive.
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 10:04 AM

Day 6 - April 18, 2016
Post operative pictures attached.
I was down in the dumps and in pain most of the day yesterday. The main cause of this was switching from the epidural and periodic pain-relief injections to pill form meds. During the switch, there was about 5-6 hours with no pain meds. By the time I slept last night they had me sorted out again and I woke up today feeling good overall.

Got on the exercise bike for the first time today. Went well. Did more walking, more work with the breathing machines, etc.
Ultra-sound passed. Was constipated but recently switched to eating only fruits and veges from the cafeteria. No longer constipated.

MikeyB's comment really hit home. Thanks for that. Although, its sad to know that your dent has come back. I can't imagine how painful that must have been both physically and psychologically. But the face that you're coming back here to give encouragement to others must mean you're in a good place. My sincere thanks again for your post.

post-op.jpg - 148kB

My Personal Journal:
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for the encouraging post Denv77. Everything you wrote makes perfect sense and I'll continue to keep it mind going forward. Not ready to go off the pain meds yet, but I think once I'm back at home, in a safe place with someone helping take care of me, I'll be ready to stop the paid meds altogether. Right now I think the meds are helping me emotionally just as much as physically.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to send encouragements. It really means a lot to know that everything I'm experiencing is a normal part of the process.

My Personal Journal:
MikeyB
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-18-2016 at 12:17 PM

I'm in about as a good a place as someone with recurrent PE with no immediate realistic way to fix the situation can be in haha. I still have physical limitations, can't stand the sight of myself and feel inadequate in a number of ways that I know I shouldn't, but I just keep fighting the good fight. The only other option is to roll over and die, and I'm not about that!

Keep your head high and your mind calm, and you will be feeling better than ever before you know it! And of course, remember that we are all here for you, we're all here for each other, that's the beauty of this whole community.

Stay strong.
Denv77
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-19-2016 at 03:06 AM

Wow Trav, your after pics look like a totally different person. Great work by Schaar. He did his part, now it's up to you. Recovery is the next part of the journey where you need to work extremely hard for your new chest. As time goes on and once you become familiar with your new chest, which takes a while, I'm sure that you will feel super stoked about the result! Your chest looks so normal. If you are going back to Thailand, hopefully now you can enjoy it all to the fullest and with confidence.

If you are feeling up to it, try get some fresh air outside. The air quality outside is as good as it gets. Your lungs will thank you.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top