Pectus Message Boards
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Male/46/PE/Haller 4.5/in US/Nuss scheduled for 4/13/16 with Dr Kelly & Dr Burgess in Norfolk
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 07:35 PM
Male/46/PE/Haller 4.5/in US/Nuss scheduled for 4/13/16 with Dr Kelly & Dr Burgess in Norfolk

I won't go into the whole story because it isn't much different than all the other stories I've read on this site. I will say, that like so many of you I asked multiple doctors about my chest over the past 25 or so years and never even had one tell me the name of the condition much less point me in a direction to find options for a correction. I never even heard the name PE until this past Fall when I ran across it on the internet - not even looking for it.

I found it pretty ironic that the procedure was developed very near my hometown not long after the condition first developed for me and yet it took this long for me to discover it! So, when I finally got on this path and started to discuss the plan with my family this Spring, my father in law (retired Dr) says he's known I had PE for years and has known about the Nuss procedure as well. What are the odds it could take this long for me to figure this out!

Anyway, blood work tomorrow, surgery Wednesday with Dr Kelly (CHKD) and Dr Burgess (Norfolk General) but at Norfolk General since I'm no kid anymore! I know there's not much on this board about him, but I feel pretty good about the plan. He worked with Dr Nuss early on at CHKD and has been handling adults for a while now.

Thanks to everyone that has posted so much information on this board and answered so many questions. It has been incredibly helpful to help navigate the process and comforting to know there's so many people who have dealt with the same challenges!

More later....
PEctusaurunuss
Contributing Member

Mood: Recovering...

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 08:07 PM

Congrats. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Randy
Contibuting Member

Mood: Always Pushing Limits

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 07:09 PM

OldPe

Hey, I was 45 when I flew to Germany to have Schaar fix my dent. I was one of the oldest PE repairs at that time, 2008. Today, may in their 50's and older are geting their PE corrected.
Just letting you know we are thinking about your surgery and recovery. The recovery is the best part, lots of fun! Yah, right!
Keep us posted, we are interested.

Randy
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-12-2016 at 09:18 PM

Thanks. I'll post how it turns out.

I'm wishing I had taken the sleeping pill!! I usually fall asleep in a blink but not tonight!! Guess I'll get plenty of sleep tomorrow though.
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

Mood: Victorious

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 04:08 AM

Wishing you all the best today for a successful surgery!! You are about to be given a wonderful gift :)

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams
MikeyB
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-13-2016 at 11:37 AM

Good luck today!!
LondonTim
Contributing Member

Mood: Determined!

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 12:57 AM

I really hope all went well for you yesterday.

Everyone on this forum is right behind you.

OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 05:15 AM

seems like it went well pain yesterday was pretty bad but today I'm much better. still haven't gotten out of bed but that's coming soon. only 500-750 on the coach so far. from what I can tell my chest looks great but hard to see from the bed.
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 05:54 PM

Up to 1500 on the coach and feeling great!

I learned a great trick from one of the nurses. She saw me struggling to cough from pain so told me to hug a pillow close to my stomach. It works so well!
ecurbliam
Contributing Member

Mood: Enjoying exercise at a higher intensity.Less self conscious with my shirt off.

[*] posted on 4-14-2016 at 11:35 PM

Congratulations Old for getting through the surgery.
Keep fighting in your recovery everyday , baby steps.
Hugging yourself helps with coughing and sneezing as well IMO.
Good luck ;)

Cheers Bruce
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

Mood: Victorious

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 07:49 AM

Wonderful!! Welcome to the other side! Feeling my undented chest for the first time was a truly glorious feeling and hopefully it was for you too :)

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams
LondonTim
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 10:16 AM

Congratulations!

All good advice. Coughing & sneezing can really hurt. I still sting after a sneeze! The pillow trick is a great one.

I hope you can get out of bed & walk a bit soon. Baby steps, low impact but keep working those lungs!!!!

OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 12:45 PM

Thanks for the tip. I've been doing a ton of walking today. And just getting up and standing in the room. nurses are laughing at me because I'm so on the move. My energy level is way up since they stopped the PCA this afternoon. Now I'm switching to all oral meds and that seems to have me much more alert. i feel ready to go do something, but not really anything to go do I guess! Hopefully headed home tomorrow on day 4.

Anyway, there's lots of posts on this board that could scare you out of taking the plunge but at least for me, this really hasn't been bad at all. Outside of the first couple of hours after surgery where I was really second guessing my decision, this has been a great experience. I know I'm far from done and I know that everyone has a different experience but seems like it might be good for folks to hear that its not always a horrible experience!
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 01:30 PM

Hey Old, you're heading home on Day 4! Wow! You're very strong. I'm on Day 3 here in Germany and couldn't imagine going home tomorrow. Do you have someone to help you while you're at home? Keep in touch if you'd like someone to bounce ideas off of or you're just looking for a friend to share. Looks like our surgeries were just a day apart.

38/M/PE Nuss w/ Schaarschmidt on April 13, 2016
My Personal Journal:
http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=11627
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 03:01 PM

April 13 surgery - yeah, same day. how long do they expect you to stay? i don't know for sure if they'll send me home tomorrow but they're talking about it. I think I'd be comfortable but I'm in no rush!

how many bars did you get? 2 here.
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 05:25 PM

2 bars for me also. Can't feel them much though as the compression strap makes everything feel like one big mass. I've only taken the compression strap off twice since coming out of surgery. Doctor finds it very important, so it stays on even though it's by far the most uncomfortable area at this time. Continues to restrict breathing at a time when I'd really to start expanding.

This doctor and his team sets everything up for a 12 day stay. Quite a bit if physical therapy in there which I'd welcome. If I were you going home so quickly I'd be sure to get as much info on what exercises and stretches to do once you're back. I guess you're being discharged early but have follow up dates set not too far into the future, right?

My Personal Journal:
LondonTim
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-15-2016 at 11:32 PM

This is why Schaarschmidt's after care is the best. I stated for about 10 days. I was tested almost every day & provided physio to recover.

Most other surgeons have you gone within 3 or 4 days.

Really glad you're so active Old. Movement is great medicine- just don't do anything too extreme. Always keep it low impact, but lungs, lungs, lungs.

OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 05:03 AM

wow...12 days! I think I might go stir crazy. my wife is here with me - I'm sure she would go stir crazy!! she's very supportive but no way she could stick around that long.

I don't have a compression strap. they just don't want me to twist or put my hands over my head for now. I'll come back in either 2 or 3 weeks I think.

I get my 3rd x-ray today. So far, so good. I really can't believe how well this is going! hope it sticks!!

I might try to get some before/after pictures up later today.
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 06:36 AM

Hi again, feels strange calling you OldPE when you're just 5 years older than me. hahaha Anyway, did you leave the hospital today? What kind of pain medications are you going to take once you're back home? They've been giving me a bunch of different stuff here but I really like the OxyContin. Seems to last for a while and works for general pain rather than this or that place on the body.

My Personal Journal:
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 06:43 AM

hit 2,000 on the coach yesterday, day 3 but slept most of the night last night first time and dropped all the way back to 500 - crazy. but thinking maybe all the sleep stiffened my chest back up worked back to 1,250 now.

I cant say enough about the staff here at Norfolk General. Everyone has been great! I would definitely recommend them for anyone east coat.
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 07:02 AM

Trav - looks like you're 38 I'm 46.

I'm still waiting for that 3rd x-ray which I think will be the deciding factor on going home. Before surgery they did some kind of block injection in my back but no an epideural. I started on a PCA soon after surgery (steady drip with more I could add using a button). Then they stopped the steady drip yesterday (day 3)and started with 8 hour oxy on a set schedule plus roxycodone 4 hour as I ask for it. I seem to be able to make it 5 hours on that one.

The pills seem to work pretty well, but not as good as the PCA. I think I'm more alert on the pills though.

How's your pain mgt going?
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 07:19 AM

I've got a PCA setup also. Not sure what's inside. They then give me OxyContin in pill form every six hours along with a liquid that smells like NyQuil but is clear and only about a tablespoon worth. If I complain about being uncomfortable they inject some other type of drug right into my neck and its all warm and fuzzy from there like a morphine injection.

I might be a little too comfortable at times if I'm honest. But I do try to walk 3 times a day and it's only day 4, so I'm not in much of a hurry. I just need to know that I'm going to be able to fly back to Thailand in 9 days by myself and then get myself to another hospital to pick up my pain meds regimen for the following month or so. Once I make it home to Northern Thailand my gf can help me a lot. But it's just me for now.

So maybe you'll be leaving tomorrow? You practicing your breathing every hour?

My Personal Journal:
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 09:41 AM

Just had x ray. its around noon my time so still thinking I'll leave today. sorry to rub it in but I only have a 1.5 hour drive home - and with my wife who has been with me all this time. I don't envy your journey. I'm sure you'll do fine but definitely a harder path than I'm set up for that's for sure.

i'm using the spirometer a lot but probably not hourly. I'll use it 5 times in a row each time I get out of bed to walk or wake up from a nap or just whenever.
OldPE
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 10:40 AM
Male/46/PE/Haller 4.5/in US/Nuss scheduled for 4/13/16

OK, X-ray is good. We're packing to go home!! I have before and after photos to post - hopefully this works. Light isn't great for the after but you'll get the idea!

before 3.jpg - 79kB

before 1.jpg - 106kB

before 2.jpg - 105kB

after 1.jpg - 80kB

after 2.jpg - 72kB

after 3.jpg - 66kB
trav-thailand
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2016 at 10:46 PM

Looks great. Thanks for sharing. Also, you're really lucky to be home already. I am curious to know why you're not wearing the compression strap but I was told to wear the compression strap 24/7 for the next 4-6 weeks. Did you have any rib repair done? We both have 2 bars in and had a similar debt depth; I can't think of any other differences.

I think the catheter and last drainage tube will be taken out today. After that I was told my recovery would go very fast as I will be able to walk, stretch, etc. now with all these cords attached I'm only getting out of bed 3-4 times a day to walk. As long as pain meds are fed into the epidural then they need to leave in the catheter. So today I'll have a triple shot of no epidural, no cath, no drainage. I'll report back to let you know how it goes. 😃

My Personal Journal:
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top