Pectus Message Boards
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Want to remove Nuss bar only 6 months in...
cjporteo
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 07:25 AM
Want to remove Nuss bar only 6 months in...

Last time I posted here was 5 months ago and that was when things were still going great. Unfortunately, they've taken a turn for the worse.

Since getting Nussed back in May, I've had a ton of complications, which I'll do my best to list now.

First, the left incision got red and inflamed and had to be opened in the ER. The right incision followed about a week later. Since then I've needed daily nurse care to treat the wounds. After a month of this the left wound finally healed up, but the right one is STILL open and draining (5 months later). I currently have a vac dressing attached to help it heal and trust me this thing sucks, no pun intended. Left incision, although closed, looks terrible and still has a rash around it, doctor says its metal hypersensitivity.

I'm also in significant pain on a daily basis, mainly in my back and near the left stabilizer. I've asked my surgeon about getting the stabilizer out and if that will help, he says the only thing that would solve the discomfort is complete removal of all the hardware.

Honestly, at this point I'm just at a loss. I just want my life back. I don't care if the dent comes back, as long as it's not deeper than before. I've gone into a depression since all this has happened, nothing is fun anymore and my grades in university are tanking. I feel like a huge burden on my family and this health BS is all we ever talk about now.

If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. I'm in a unique situation and very few people on this forum have opted for bar removal so early. As much as I don't want to be a quitter I honestly can't see myself living like this for another 2.5 years. Help. :(
harmony
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 10:32 AM

I am so sorry CJ. In no way are you a quitter if you get your bar(s) removed. Have you had the opportunity to speak with a surgeon other than the one who did your procedure? Although in your gut you absolutely know the answer, perhaps another experienced opinion could offer suggestions.

Please stay in touch here on the forum. People here care about you. :)
cjporteo
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 01:44 PM

I'm from Canada so the surgeon pool is quite limited if I want this covered by provincial insurance. I've been contemplating early bar removal for about a month now and I'm almost certain it's what I'm going to do. I meet with the surgeon on Tuesday to discuss it with him. My physique before was pretty good, and I was super satisfied with it other than the dent. Honestly if it regresses to how it was before I'll be happy with it. I just don't want it to be worse than before or have permanent muscle damage or something, which I fear might be the case.

Honestly I just want my life back to normal and feel like this is the only way to achieve that. My body hates this bar. At least I can say I tried but right now I just need to move forward.
harmony
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-12-2017 at 07:36 PM

Wishing you the best!
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

Mood: Victorious

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 08:42 AM

Hey CJ,

I am so sorry to hear of these turn of events. :(

Did you have a metal allergy test before surgery? Or were you asked about sensitivities to the metals that compose the bar? The constant weeping, redness, and lingering pain point to an allergy to the metal. Although I'm no doctor, I agree with your surgeon that this won't resolve unless the hardware is removed.

Your course of action from here should be decided between you and your doctor, but I would suggest getting a metal allergy test (if you haven't already) to determine for certain that this is the issue. If so, go through bar removal. Once you are healed from all of that, if you desire correction again, go ahead with titanium bars.

This is all such a pain...but please remain strong and resilient! Do your research, ask the right questions, and do what you need to do to recover your health, both physical and emotional. This is not a dead end, but merely a detour.

Please keep us updated. We are here for you!

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams

My journal: http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=11088
alwaysthinking
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-13-2017 at 12:20 PM

Sorry about your situation man. Stories like this are exactly why I've always felt fearful about getting surgery. I want to give it a shot, I don't want to look back and ask "what if?" But the potential complications sound terrifying.
S.T.I.L.L
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 03:32 PM

Hi cjporteo,

I had the exact same problem when I inserted the bar! Infections and antibiotics for months. Very depressing, and the nurses in my town (small town) even talked about removing the bar, and that being the only option.

I went back to the same hospital that inserted the bar (a large one), that knows how to deal with these problems.
A new surgery were performed (very small one), and they removed the infection physically.

After that everything went better.
My advice, go to experienced people and try to stick with the bar! It is worth it!
cjporteo
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 12:22 AM

OK, going through with bar removal next Wednesday morning. This means I will have only had the bar in for just under 6 months. He said expected regression is 60-70%, but I expect more than this, and that's fine. Honestly, I wish I could just go back to the life I had half a year ago, even with a dented chest my life was way better than it is now.

Feeling a weird mix of emotions now. Sad that the bar has to come out early. Excited that I can back in the gym soon and start building muscle again. Nervous that my body structure will somehow end up permanently worse than pre-Nuss. Either way, my Nuss journey is coming to an end and even if it ends up being a net zero in the physical sense, I've learned a lot from this experience and feel as though it's made a me a stronger person. No regrets.

Will report back from the hospital on Wednesday. :)
harmony
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 10:12 AM

Good luck cjporteo!
Halcyon22
Contributing Member

Mood: Victorious

[*] posted on 11-17-2017 at 08:22 PM

It is commendable how positive you are in viewing your situation. This can't be easy at all! That attitude though will carry you through long after you are healed from all of this.

Wishing you the best on your surgery day!

"Man never made any material as resilient as the human spirit."--Bernard Williams

My journal: http://www.pectusinfo.com/board/viewthread.php?tid=11088
Fresh
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 10:51 AM

Good luck. Sorry to hear about the complications.

Go To Top