Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heading for non PE-land
Finn
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 01:38 PM
Heading for non PE-land

Alright then, I visited this one of Finlands top thoracic surgeons, talked about my PE and I'm going to be sort of a test subject for Vacuum Bell in Finland. We took an X-ray and I'm having a checkup in 6 months to see if the VB has done anything. I just purchased an Vacuum Bell from Costa. Also the doctor agreed to ravitch me if the VB doesn't work, so I'm off to non PE-land no matter what :P

I just wanted to let you know, I'm going to update my process in this topic.

Geez I'm excited.
swedishdude
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 03:44 PM

Good luck dude

schaar
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 04:01 PM

Dear Finn,

VB is OK , try it yourself, wehave used it on many patients, but success is best in young children.
But why the hell the outdated Ravitch? do you dislike the minimally invasive Nuss procedure ask your surgeon about it.

From our experience of 507 Nuss repairs from 12-42 years of age(which is the largest European number and second worldwide second to Nuss) we have completely abondoned the Ravitch. Only if patients are very heavy weight we take two bars to make the repair stronger and in two patients we used three bars from the same cut.

We have developped a special bar fixation in Berlin and so far we have a zero bar dislocation rate in Berlin-Germany

Schaarschmidt K, Kolberg-Schwerdt A, Dimitrov G, Strauß J,
Submuscular Bar, Multiple pericostal Bar Fixation, Bilateral Thoracoscopy,
A Modified Nuss Repair in Adolescents. J Pediatr Surg 37: 1276-80, (2002)

Schaarschmidt K, Kolberg-Schwerdt A, Lempe M, Schlesinger F, Bunke K, Strauß J. Extrapleural, submuscular bars placed by bilateral thoracoscopy - a new improvement in modified Nuss funnel chest repair. J Pediatr Surg 40 (2005): 1407-1410

I am not sure wether this answers your problem,
if not send pictures to kschaarschmidt@berlin.helios-kliniken.de
phone 0049/30/94017887 or 0049/30/94017888 fax 0049/30/94017889

yours Prof. Dr.Dr. Schaarschmidt, Director of Helios Center for Pediatric and Adolescent Surgery Berlin-Buch www.klinikumbuch.de
Finn
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 03:29 AM

I don't think Nuss is used here in Finland, and he is quite experienced with Ravitch. And I'm not really that fond of the idea of having a bar inside my chest for 2-3 years. But I'm not sure about the surgery yet, I will look into surgeries a lot more if I don't have success with the VB, but thanks for your input.
msdmn
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 06:21 AM

i had the ravitch. i vote for nuss.
Why?
1) No stuff (the things that connect the ribs to the sternum) are broken
2) Scar
3) Contact sports
etc etc
Van
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:08 AM

Finn,

Good luck with your experiment with the vacuum bell.

I wouldn't take Schaar's comment about the modified Ravitch to heart. I read the medical literature on the treatment of PE before selecting the modified Ravitch for myself earlier this year, and the procedure is certainly not "outdated," as he put it.

In this forum during just a few months, we've heard about one tragic death from a Nuss procedure and lots of terrible pain and suffering, as well as, to be sure, many positive experiences. Any surgery has its risks and downtime, and none should be undertaken lightly. Overall, however, my own impression is that the modified Ravitch, at the hands of a skilled and experienced surgeon, puts one at less risk of death, incapacitating pain, complications and regression than the Nuss.

Surgeons, like other people, may have motivations other than our interest in advising one surgery over another, and they may be ill-informed in some ways. So we've got to learn as much as we can and think for ourselves!

Van
BigBreaker
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 11:49 AM

I think Nuss would work especially well after you have "softened up" your sternum with the bell. Once you start using it for a while you'll appreciate how flexible that area can be. Mine is certainly more flexible than when I was a teenager after using a Costa bell for ~3 months.

That said you'll never get me near a surgeon now. The bell is too close to a cure to go through all that.
Costa
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:28 PM

did you get it yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by Finn
Alright then, I visited this one of Finlands top thoracic surgeons, talked about my PE and I'm going to be sort of a test subject for Vacuum Bell in Finland. We took an X-ray and I'm having a checkup in 6 months to see if the VB has done anything. I just purchased an Vacuum Bell from Costa. Also the doctor agreed to ravitch me if the VB doesn't work, so I'm off to non PE-land no matter what :P

I just wanted to let you know, I'm going to update my process in this topic.

Geez I'm excited.
Randy
Contibuting Member

Mood: Always Pushing Limits

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:55 PM

Finn

Look closely to both procedures, the Nuss and Ravicthc prior to any decision. The location of the surgeon should take second chair to the proper PE repair procedure. I have been talking, reading and studying both procedures for almost 10 months. You should not let your feelings get in your way of choosing a procedure. Look at all the factors surrounding both procedures, write them down on paper and make a logical decision from your gathered information.
Finn
Unregistered

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Costa
did you get it yet?

Yeah, it got stuck in the customs but just got it today. Thank you very very much, I'm gonna test it soon ^^

Go To Top