Pectus Message Boards
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My Results - Surgical Correction (3/25/2010)
tazunemono
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 06:26 AM
My Results - Surgical Correction (3/25/2010)

For those who had been following my thread I had planned to have the Nuss correction performed on my chest to fix my PE. In the end, I had to have a different procedure performed due to several factors, including calcification and scar tissue which had to be removed prior to correcting my deformity. In my case, I was suffering a from highly asymmetrical and/or very stiff funnel chest.

Due to my age, and the condition of my ribs/sternum, an osteotomy of the calcified rib cartilage was required, as well as a partial horizontal sternotomy at the upper median edge of the funnel. I now have two small titanium stabilizer bars in my chest for life (made by Synthes).

See pix below for results:

Prior to correction - Haller Index of 3.1

After surgery - in recovery (pain managed by epidural catheter and IV morphine, O2 therapy)

Up and moving around - 2 days after surgery (pain managed by PO Percocet and Benzos, breathing treatments)

Post-op, I was d/c on March 31st. Pain was moderate, with sleep positioning being the most painful part. I didn't sleep much for the first few days home, and had to sleep nearly upright. Breathing was difficult and painful, but manageable. 1 week after surgery, I developed a seroma which leaked for about 1 week.

Latest Update: It's now April 12th , and I feel pretty good. The pain is diminishing every day, and I am able to stretch and flex much better. My doc switched me from Percocet to Lortab every 6 hrs. I'm also on an antibiotic. I'm up doing chores and working online. I plan to go back to work on the 19th (If doc OK's me...).

I'm pretty happy with the results overall!
WelshNathan
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 06:52 AM

Awesome results, I'm glad to hear the pain is going slowly.
Keep us updated with the pain, I would imagine it will be gone in a few weeks seeing as you had the ravich and not the nuss.

You should be VERY happy with the results :D
nrigali
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 09:36 AM

Your chest looks great! Hope you start to feel great too!
nightg
Contributing Member

Mood: Nervous

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:40 AM

congrats with the results. are you happy with how everything has gone
Reynolds86
Contributing Member

Mood: Holy (get it :p)

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 11:55 AM

I like it looks nice and flat how a chest is suppose to look! I'm jealous!

Will you be able to gain muscle mass with the bars in your chest?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
tazunemono
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 12:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WelshNathan  
Awesome results, I'm glad to hear the pain is going slowly.
Keep us updated with the pain, I would imagine it will be gone in a few weeks seeing as you had the ravich and not the nuss.

You should be VERY happy with the results :D

Thanks! Yes, my doc said that the Nuss is a more long, drawn out affair with regards to pain. I am in almost no pain now from sitting or minimal movement, only taking 1 Lortab every 6 hrs. I'm beginning to work on my flexibility and hope to get clearance to do some cardio on the stationary bike or light pool work.
tazunemono
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 12:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nightg  
congrats with the results. are you happy with how everything has gone

Yes, so far. The only bothersome thing post-op was the seroma, which drained for a week or so. I had to change dressings every few hours. It was a clear, reddish fluid that just 'leaked' out of my incision at one site.
tazunemono
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Reynolds86  
I like it looks nice and flat how a chest is suppose to look! I'm jealous!

Will you be able to gain muscle mass with the bars in your chest?

I hope so, I'll let you know! The bars are very small and are there to support my sternum and ribs (from #3-#5, I think?)

I'll try to post pics of my X-Ray tomorrow. Until then, here's the website of the product my surgeon used. http://us.synthes.com/Products/CMF/
edgey
Contributing Member and Posting Freak

Mood: Getting on with Post-PE life

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 12:28 PM

Just remember, then when you have had some bone/cartilage cutting, everything will be fairly unstable until the bone regrows. It normally takes bone 6 weeks to regrow, so I would keep any bendy, stretchy stuff to the bare minimum for that period, and certainly nothing that puts any weight or pressure on the upper body for 8 weeks. Even with the little steel bars in there, you don't want to do anything to compromise the surgeon's work. So just because your pain is minimal, don't get carried away and think its all over. The bone needs to regrow, so be careful!
Randy
Contibuting Member

Mood: Always Fun & Positive

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 01:09 PM

Results are very nice! Be careful of any movements in this early stage of recovery. Those floating bones dont need any agitation. Im Very glad you have a great start to recovery!!

Randy

pectusmind
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 01:22 PM

Hey tazunemono great results! you said your haller index was 3.1 did your insurance cover the procedure?
mjm
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 03:21 PM

Congrats!!!
tazunemono
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pectusmind  
Hey tazunemono great results! you said your haller index was 3.1 did your insurance cover the procedure?

Yes, although I was initially denied I was approved on a reconsideration. I have Anthem insurance. I have a post on somewhere on this board about the process I had to go through to get approved.
kames
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-12-2010 at 04:26 PM

WoW- you look amazing! congrats on being dent free!
tazunemono
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-13-2010 at 01:40 PM

Chest X-Ray attached

I have 16 screws that are holding my sternum in the proper position. The stabilizer plates are bent to the proper angle to allow my sternum and ribs to reattach.

Any questions, please let me know.

Go To Top