Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pre-Op vs. Post-Op Pics
SV27
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-3-2011 at 05:18 PM
Pre-Op vs. Post-Op Pics

Hey guys, finally got around to posting my pics. Here are the pre and post op pictures:

Pre-Op:

Post-Op:

-I got one bar, its right at my right nipple
-I fell like another bar would have been perfect about an inch underneath the first bar as there is another dent there on the right side (Pics 1 & 5)
-Left side is great, just the sternum area feels like there is some PC there (Pics 6 & 9)

What I'm getting at here is with a lot of working out and weight added, will I be able to patch up some of the gaps and have a 'normal' looking chest? Will I be able to overcome that smaller dent under my right nipple?

Wondering what you guys think about the results?

Btw, this is 6months post-op
jasonralston8
Contributing Member

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 4-3-2011 at 06:58 PM

I think you're looking pretty good man. who was your surgeon?

oh and btw your scars seem to be healing nicely. Have you been using any creams for them?

To God Be The Glory
Randy
Contibuting Member

Mood: Always Fun & Positive

[*] posted on 4-3-2011 at 07:44 PM

Hey Man, you had a difficult sever case of PE, your results are fantastic!! 1 or 2 bars? who knows if that would do anything. The fact is your massive dent is gone. Now my friend is where it's up to you. You need to gain about 60lbs of muscle and 15lbs of fat. This will bring perfection to the great job your surgeon did for you. Your so skinny a little puff a wind will blow you away, never to be found. So get on the program, time to turn up the intensity. If you want some help, come on over and meet me at the gym for a vomit experience. Then we leave and begin to learn how to eat away the skinny you have. Take this as you may, harsh or helpful, it's brutal I know yet that is what is required.

Randy

JamJam
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-3-2011 at 10:49 PM

Nice job!

As Randy said, you will totally benefit from weights training and a complete diet overhaul. You need to eat and eat and eat. It's hard, but it will make a massive difference to your PE result, you'll be fitter, healthier and feel so much better for it.

I would have been as lean as you were before I started gym. I've put on about 25 kgs since then and am a totally different person.
SV27
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 07:42 PM

@jasonralston8
Thanks man! My surgeon was Dr. Paul Chiasson from Brampton Ontario. He works with Dr. Kashif Irshad whom a few others were nussed by on here. Them two are basically the go-to guys here in the GTA from what I've heard.

Haven't used anything at all for the scars, they seem to be fading nicely.

@Randy
Hahaha love the comments man, the puff of wind line had me cracking up. I definitely do need to gain weight, I'm really tall and have a fast metabolism that I need to overcome but I am going to do as much as I can.

Regarding the two bar thing, the little dent I have under the bar doesn't bother me too much from an aesthetic aspect, but my problem with it is that I'm not sure if I can build it out with muscle development. I've been lifting and doing chest exercises specifically and the muscle around it seems to be developing but that little area is not which is my only worry.

If you're vomit experiences are anything like Tony Horton's P90x workouts then bring it on!! :)

@JamJam
Your post-op --> now results are absolutely amazing man. How did you manage to develop your interior chest, it still looked slightly dipped in the middle, but now it's completely gone. Did you do specific exercises to target that area?
carl
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 12:03 PM

Just wanted to say you look great, amazing result, dont worry about the sternum when the bar is removed it will settle slightly giving a perfect result.

All the best
JamJam
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 03:06 PM

@SV27

The three areas of my body that I have really focused on during my gym sessions to correct/hide PE have been;

Back - In most PE cases, the shoulders roll forward due to the concavity of the chest. By strengthening my back/lat muscles I've been able to correct my posture, pull my shoulders back which also has the effect of pushing my chest out. Exercises include deadlifts (so important), lat pull downs and seated row.

Chest - After my surgery I still had a very 'flat' chest with flared ribs, so I focused on building up my chest. Lots of pushups, bench press and other associated chest routines have helped. One that I find really beneficial is to grab a 5 to 6 kg medicine ball and stand about a metre away from a solid wall. Pick a point thats just above your eye line (90 degree angle) on the wall and throw the ball into the wall as hard as you can, catching it with both hands as it bounces back towards you. It takes some practice, but the idea is to do this with as much force as quickly as you can. I can get about 20-30 reps out before I'm fatigued, and this really helps with your inner pectoral muscle. I currently have the problem where my exterior pectoral muscle is much larger than my interior (due to muscle damage/muscle removal) which is why I am considering the implant.

Abs - To fix the flared ribs I've done a combination of ab exercises to pull them in. Weighted swiss ball crunches have been particularly helpful.

I really do believe though that its 70% diet and 30% training. Sure, some exercises are better than others and will target areas more effectively, but if you're not consuming the food to fuel the muscle growth, you won't achieve that goals you want.
dm_pectus
Contributing Member

Mood: Low

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 06:46 PM

Jam Jam- what's your diet like exactly? I'm looking to gain (healthy) weight as well.

Nussed 12/21/2010
JamJam
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-14-2011 at 09:15 PM

Lots of fresh food, avoid too much sugar and lots of protien. The idea is to remain consistent, as there is no use following a great diet for a month, complain that you haven't seen any results, and then go back to old habbits. You won't put on weight over night, especially if you have an ectomorph like body type, which a lot of people with PE would do.

I try to have at least 4 meals a day (breakfast, lunch, pre dinner, post dinner) plus at least 2-3 protien shakes a day, spaced between the meals and right after training. You should be attempting to hit at least 2 grams of protien per kg of body weight. Complex (good quality) carbs are also important. Things like bread and pasta are ok (at least for my body type, and most of those with PE) when consumed in conjunction with a rigorous training routine. Skinny guys need some 'mass', even if it means putting on a healthy amount of fat.
dm_pectus
Contributing Member

Mood: Low

[*] posted on 4-16-2011 at 02:27 PM

Thanks for your tips. What protein shake would you recommend?

Nussed 12/21/2010
JamJam
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-16-2011 at 04:15 PM

There are a plethora of powders available, and everyones opinion is going to vary depending on who you ask. I had great results with 'Horleys Awesome Mass'. It's an Australian company I think, but you should be able to get it anywhere. You basically just want one that gives you roughly 30g of protien per serve (and you can increase this amount if you use it with skim/low fat milk). One with a high protien/carb ratio would also be beneficial, but avoid the ones with high sugar.

My advice - Find one that you love the taste of. If you struggle to drink it because it's too thick, tastes gross, doesn't mix properly etc, you're not going to continue using it.
jojane13
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-17-2011 at 06:07 AM

Wow, what an amazing improvement!! Your before pictures look like you had the most severe case of PE I've seen so far! Now your dent is so improved and once you pack on some weight and muscle you will look incredible!! Congratulations!!!:)
SV27
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 06:44 PM

Thanks jojane!

This week has been huge in terms of recovery. I've finally been able to do push-ups and it feels great. It feels like my body is back to 80-90%. My only limitations now are sit-ups and pull-ups (but I'm going to test the pull-ups soon). Finally feel like my old self again.

The nerve pain has finally died down. It's completely gone on my right side, and very slight on my left side. Definitely can live with it and even exercise through the pain.

The one thing that helped me feel a lot better is working out. Just going slowly and building up the weight and my overall chest flexibility feels better and I feel the bar less and less. Would definitely recommend working out as soon as you can to speed up your recovery.

Quote:

@SV27

The three areas of my body that I have really focused on during my gym sessions to correct/hide PE have been;

Back - In most PE cases, the shoulders roll forward due to the concavity of the chest. By strengthening my back/lat muscles I've been able to correct my posture, pull my shoulders back which also has the effect of pushing my chest out. Exercises include deadlifts (so important), lat pull downs and seated row.

Chest - After my surgery I still had a very 'flat' chest with flared ribs, so I focused on building up my chest. Lots of pushups, bench press and other associated chest routines have helped. One that I find really beneficial is to grab a 5 to 6 kg medicine ball and stand about a metre away from a solid wall. Pick a point thats just above your eye line (90 degree angle) on the wall and throw the ball into the wall as hard as you can, catching it with both hands as it bounces back towards you. It takes some practice, but the idea is to do this with as much force as quickly as you can. I can get about 20-30 reps out before I'm fatigued, and this really helps with your inner pectoral muscle. I currently have the problem where my exterior pectoral muscle is much larger than my interior (due to muscle damage/muscle removal) which is why I am considering the implant.

Abs - To fix the flared ribs I've done a combination of ab exercises to pull them in. Weighted swiss ball crunches have been particularly helpful.

I really do believe though that its 70% diet and 30% training. Sure, some exercises are better than others and will target areas more effectively, but if you're not consuming the food to fuel the muscle growth, you won't achieve that goals you want.

Thank you for posting this JamJam. So far I'm doing pushups, dumbell presses, shoulder presses, some rows and bicep curls. I'm going to start incorporating some leg workouts soon. I'm finding that dumbell presses really help build out my outer pecs, but not my inner pecs. Would you recommend doing regular bar bench presses instead?
SV27
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 07:29 PM

And just to add, this was my surgeon's 6th nuss operation at the time
JamJam
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 08:09 PM

SV27. I've had similar experiences as you RE bulking up the inner pectorals muscles. Because I had the ravitch, they actually cut through the chest muscle to correct my sternum, so some of the muscle was removed/damaged. My outter pecs are definitely a lot more defined than my inner (as you can see from my pics), which is why I am considering the implant to supplement for the missing/damaged muscle.

That being said, I have still had moderate muscle growth in that region (I had a CT scan about 2 weeks ago for the custom implant to be made from a model of my chest) and I was quite surprised to see just how much muscle was there.

In regards to exercises, I would suggest cable curls/extensions as a good way to build up the inner/upper chest, and decline pushups (feet on a seat or bench, arms on the floor). It's worked for me, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. But again, diet is key.

Do not take this as an insult, but you are very, very skinny, probably skinnier than I was after I had my surgery. I've put on about 20+ kilos since then and you will certainly need to eat, eat, eat, eat, eat the right foods (good quality fruit and veg, low fat meats, meal supplements) etc to fuel your gym sessions. Your current intake of food/fuel is a direct reflection to your current size. If you want to increase in mass, you MUST increase your intake. You will most certainly struggle at first, but your body will adjust and you'll stake packing on some bulk.
SV27
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 4-21-2011 at 05:24 PM

Ah good call on the decline pushups, will definitely incorporate those! Cable curls I'd probably have to go to a gym no?

I hear you on the weight thing. Being 6'6'' with a really fast metabolism doesn't help, but at the same time I am quite lazy when it comes to food. I did that P90x program but basically did it with an awful diet, which pretty much made no sense and wasted some of the results. But I'm going to push hard with the diet and am even thinking about getting a personal trainer for a bit to get on track with everything. So far I'm already up 5lbs from since I started working out and the weight has stuck, surprisingly.

Go To Top