Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 4 weeks post-ravitch w/ pics
longdayz
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 07:13 PM
4 weeks post-ravitch w/ pics

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks since my surgery, I am finally off pain meds. The last week or so I had weaned off to 1 or 2 a day, and breaking them in half.

I have walked on a treadmill at 4 mph for 45 min every other day for the last 2 weeks. I am a full-time student and I have worked as a nurse 3 days.

My worst pain is in my mid-back. My doctor said my back muscles are adjusting too. My chest feels okay, but I have weird twinges when I twist, like when I reach into the back seat of my car. It feels like something is pulling or about to tear :sh: Same thing when I tried to do yoga.

I am happy. But frustrated that I can't snowboard :( We just got a ton of snow in Michigan. I can't wait to really exercise (run, lift).

My scar looks great, all healed, just a thin pink line. That's all for now.

Randy
Contibuting Member

Mood: Always Pushing Limits

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 10:07 PM

Happy to hear you are doing well. Post your scar, hope it heals well. Your pushing it by wanting to snow board so soon, be careful but dont be a couch potato. Find the line and walk it, just dont cross it. Better to be a little slow on getting in the grove than to jump to soon and have a mess 6 months later. Post a few pix, you will get lots of responses.

Randy

longdayz
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 1-26-2012 at 06:38 PM

Thanks, Randy, yeah it's hard to not be able to do all the things I love. But hopefully when I fully recover, I will be better than ever! I'll try to get pics up, I still need to check if Mayo took any before pics, as I did not.
devguy
Contributing Member

Mood: happy and comfortable

[*] posted on 1-26-2012 at 09:43 PM

You're on the downward slope at 4 weeks. The demon is out. Congrats

longdayz
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 1-28-2012 at 06:25 AM
4 weeks post-ravitch w/ pics

Sorry, pics are small, I'm not tech savvy. Very new at this stuff.

me.png - 68kBme 2.png - 80kB
L8rcr8r
Contributing Member

Mood: I CAN BREATHE!!!

[*] posted on 1-30-2012 at 06:27 PM

You look great at 6 weeks! You really do! I will have to post more pictures of mine.. Mine went further up in the middle!
longdayz
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 08:33 AM

Thanks L8r, I'm happy with the results.

My sternum is slightly raised in the middle, post-surgery, but I do feel it's the best Dr. Deschamps could do with what I had. It may change, too, as the cartilage grows back. Remember, I had a carinatum on the left side and excavatum on the left. My haller was 3.82, which isn't nearly as bad as many people on here, but in my case my sternum wasn't dipping in towards my spine, but rather it was dipping in towards my right side, if you can picture that. If I were to measure under my armpit from my back to front, my right side is much narrower that my left. So you see, my entire rib cage is asymmetrical. I would never have a perfect fix, and I am so grateful with the fix I have.
emily1027
Contributing Member

Mood: hopeful!

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 09:37 AM

You do look great for 6 weeks! Mandy would love to see updated pics!

Longdayz...that is exactly how I would describe my pectus. One side is slightly raised and then it dips in towards my left side....its oddly shaped but still severe and causing compression on my heart from what I see on my CT scan. Im not sure how perfect of a repair ill be able to get either with the nuss procedure but im going to hope for the best. Hope you continue to heal well!
longdayz
Contributing Member

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 10:20 AM

Thanks Em!
I meant to say excavatum on my right, but I'm sure you figured that out.
Yes, mine was severe enough to compress my heart as well. I used to have these really hard heartbeats, I think because my heart was beating right on my bone (sternum)! I haven't had any hard beats since the surgery. I will continue to follow your story, you are in good hands at Mayo, whether it is Dr. J or Dr. Deschamps. I am sure you will be very happy with the results! And remember, everyone has imperfections, even those without pectus.
ThePecLife
Contributing Member

Mood: Just surviving...

[*] posted on 1-31-2012 at 02:27 PM

Yup I know that feeling I had mine beating against my sternum and dead against my spine so when I had a big heart beat I'd feel it fly down my spine it was an odd feeling. My heart went straight back into my spine instead of shifting to the lift and restricting the lung which was a surprise to the surgeon considering my case is moderately severe. My heart also had massive rotation on it to.

Keep us updated and keep posting, Good to hear everything is going good. And em, We will both be dent free soon enough I'm going in end of March and if I'm not mistaken you are some time in March as well?

All the best.

22 | Male | Australian living abroad | Nussed one bar Mar-12 | Bar Removed Jan-15 | Waiting for a Re-Do

Go To Top